Saturday, August 10, 2013

Every end has a beginning.

When I was a kid.. I had big dreams. I'd finish high school and go to college. I'd meet the girl of my dreams do an internship at a nice fortune 100 company and work there while pursing my masters. Eventually get married and have a nice small wedding off the coast of Italy. I'd work hard at my job.. "the company" I'd call it. Eventually work my way into a nice cushy position..maybe even  make partner while taking vacations every six months to far off and exotic lands. Surprisingly enough things didn't go that way at all!

Oh right I should probably introduce myself. That's how these things usually go right? Let me introduce  myself.   The youngest of three siblings and the only male!! I'm Kasey a mid twenties African America, or as some would say black, male who still has big dreams for the future.. amidst the bouts of despair I have of the past, for the present and for the future.  So stay a while and listen.. and I'll try not to have this end up being too depressing.

So of  course my whole plan for my future was dependent on my future. I graduated high school and my plan was to limp through community college with financial aid and hopefully get accepted to the local university. To be honest I'm a smart person.. I did just enough to get through high school like an average student. I didn't take ACTs or SATs because no one at the highschool I went to didn't really seem to care about its students so they never brought it up.

My dad wanted me to immediately go get a job and head into the workforce, much like he did. Except my dad dropped out of school at around 9th grade and left his country bumpkin life in Mississippi. He made the move to California where he lived in weekly motels and worked moving things at Grand Central Market. So obviously he wanted his only son to follow in his foot steps. EXCEPT. I've never worked a day in my life. I was the baby.. the only son. Everything was handed to me on a silver platter and often times I refused it and demanded a gold one. I mean who would say no?

I pleaded with my dad to let me go to college and try to get a part time job.. maybe at the university? However he was having none of that. I was to get up.. the day after my graduation and start applying to every fast food place within two bus routes and find a job and start working.   There was no wiggle room or anything. So what was there for me to do? The same thing that kids do every time one of their parents do something that they don't like. You tell the other one! After my dad left and went somewhere I burst into my moms bedroom with tear rolling down my face. I leap into her lap and rest my head on her chest.. I know my mother. Anything I ask at this point isn't going to be refused. I could tell my mom some strange man touched me on the bus and she would kill. That man for various reasons this isn't something I went to the well on too many times thought it is always nice to have an Ace. My mom asks me whats going on.. and I explain to her the whole situation with my dad. She gives me a nice deep hug and tells me that I don't have to worry about anything. She was going to go with me to the college tomorrow and help me get registered for some classes. My dad comes home and my parents have the argument to end all arguments... little did I know my little number caused more damage than I could have ever possibly predicted.

My first week of college my parents came to a mutual decision to terminate the contract between them. For those of you who don't get that.. they decided to get a divorce and go their separate ways. Now all parents fight... people are going to disagree.. and sometimes you're not going to be able to bow out gracefully. I figured it was going to be one of those fights where they're mad at each other for a few days and it blows over. Not this time. I guess my dad wanted me to not pursue education was so vile for my mother that she just blew up completely on him and he just couldn't take it. They wanted me to know that it wasn't my fault (Of course it wasn't.. I was just the catalyst that caused the whole fight..) and they both still loved me. My dad was going to stay in Vegas but he found himself a nice small house near a letter named street and would live there while working at my Aunt's(on my moms side) restaurant. I'd continue living with my disabled mother(I'll get to this later.. calm down) in her house provided to her by the government....

I don't know about you guys but I feel like the best way to start is with a nice wholesome story about how a child who's thinking long term.. (and doesn't want to work because he's lazy) caused his parents to get a divorce and split up is the great way to start a blog!


No comments: